education-related activities at ASPB meeting

Mary Williams mwilliams at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Mon Apr 7 13:58:08 EST 2003

Hi All,

If you're considering attending the ASPB annual meeting, here are
some education-related activities you might be interested it.

Friday July 25
Undergraduate Reception: 5:30 - 6:30 pm
	Undergraduate students attending the conference will have an
opportunity to display their posters and meet each other, along with
their advisors and other interested parties (after the reception the
posters will be relocated amongst the appropriate subject).

Saturday July 26
PUI/Small Colleges luncheon - 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm
	This year Susan Singer from Carlton College will share her
ideas for how to keep the momentum going at a small college, and we
will also have time for the usual informal networking.

Sunday July 27
Education Committee Workshop
Enhancing public understanding of research in plant biology - a
variety of individuals and organizations will present examples of
successful outreach programs.

Tuesday July 29 1 - 2
Two concurrent workshops will address issues of interest to Plant
Biology educators:

"Surviving pre-tenure: a mentoring workshop for junior faculty at PUI
institutions"
Organizer: Kathleen Archer (Trinity College)
Bring your problems related to research or teaching to this workshop
to share. Established faculty will offer tips and suggestions for
resolution. For example, we can brainstorm on how to obtain research
supplies and facilities, do research with undergraduates, improve
teaching, and handle departmental politics.

"Long Term Cooperative Research Collaborations: Models in the Making"
Organizer: Kathryn Edwards (Kenyon College)
A workshop sharing the development of long term research collaborations
between small liberal arts faculty and research university faculty and
exploring the potential benefits to both faculty, undergraduate
students, and the institutions.

Throughout the meeting there will be education posters up for
viewing. Conference participants are allowed to bring an education
poster in addition to a research poster. Why not put together a
poster to share your plant education innovations?

Finally, don't forget the ASPB Education Booth competition.
The ASPB Education Committee-sponsored Plant Biology Education Booth
Competition provides $500 and free meeting registration to members
submitting winning entries for booth exhibits and presentations. To
learn more about the booth
competition for 2003 in Hawaii, contact Sheila Blackman at
blackmas at gvsu.edu. Proposal deadlines are due April 30th. An
announcement with more information went out to ASPB members on Feb 14
- if you'd like me to forward to you let me know.

Hope to see you in Honolulu,

Mary Williams
Associate Professor of Biology
Harvey Mudd College