Vine identification

John E. Silvius silviusj at cedarville.edu
Mon Aug 4 14:47:06 EST 2003

Sara,
As near as I can tell from the photo and your description, it is Wild
Balsam-Apple, Echinocystis lobata which is shown in U. of Wisconsin
slides at this site:
http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/images/401/Magnoliophyta/Magnoliopsida/Dilleniidae/Cucurbitaceae/Echinocystis_lobata/Flowering_vine_DW.html

That would place it in the Cucurbitaceae as Monique Reed has suggested.

What do you think?     John

John E. Silvius, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
251 N. Main St.
Cedarville University
Cedarville, Ohio   45314
E-mail:   silviusj at cedarville.edu
http://www.cedarville.edu/dept/sm/silvius/index.htm
>>> Slofolk <fantom at jahoodite.mailshell.com> 07/19/03 1:49 PM >>>

The picture shows better what I can only describe as an ivy
shaped leaf, but not as thick or darkly colored as ivy (and it
dies off in winter, reseeds itself), has a small yellow flower
(1/8" to 1/4" across) which is trumpet shaped, and a very small
fruit (1/2 inch across or so) that is marked as a watermelon.
It seems a lot like a gooseberry

there's a picture here:
http://www.pbase.com/image/5483641

I seem to remember (my memory is not always good) that I planted
seeds several years ago and it was edible, but now can't remember
for sure.   Does anyone recognize this plant?

Thanks for any help.

Sara