Barley-Seed Germination

John Hewitson john_hewitson at breathe.com
Thu Dec 4 07:30:59 EST 2003

Like you, this experiment/demo used to work a treat 30 years ago, but
became more and more unreliable such that we dropped it.

Obviously, sterility is important as almost any bacteria will produce
amylase.  We dipped the seed samples in diluted bleach, with a small
piece of matchstick as a control to demonstrate that the bleach itself
did not digest starch.

The main problem is that the plant breeders have spent the last 30
years selecting short straw varieties which are resistant to lodging
and can therefore respond to higher doses of N fertiliser with a
heavier head without falling over.  These varieties are short straw
because they do not respond to GA in the normal way.  They are
non-responsive to GA in the seed's response in amylase production as
well as in the stem's response in elongation growth.

We were able to get a small sample of long-straw barley seed and this
worked well for a few years, but the seed is not easy to get.  Long
straw wheat and barley are still grown in UK for thatching straw, so I
guess the varieties are still commercially available.

I know this doesn't completely fit with the results you are reporting,
but it was a partial solution for us.

I'd be most interested in the responses you get to this topic.

John

Dr. John F. Hewitson
Science and Plants for Schools (SAPS)
Homerton College