Plant Seminar

David R. Hershey monrdh321 at
Thu Dec 11 15:04:44 EST 2003

What about "Our Love-Hate Relationship with Plants."

Examples of "love" would be genetic engineering, phytoremediation,
medicinal plants, food crops, plants in art, crafts and religion,
horticultural art forms (grafting, espalier, bonsai, hydroponics),
plants as toys, plant use in teaching, flowers as symbols, plants in
the nature study movement, and use of landscape plants to improve the
human environment (aesthetics, recreation, green roofs, windbreaks,
screening of unsightly views, erosion prevention, crash barriers,
blocking glare, trees for shade and cooling, etc).

Examples of "hate" would be genetic engineering, human activities
endangering or causing extinction of plant species, invasive plants,
rain forest destruction, acid rain, illegal drug plants, tobacco,
poisonous plants, plant allergies and the massive ripoff of consumers
by the herbal supplements industry. I listed genetic engineering for
both love and hate because it is so controversial.

"Seeds of Change" is a catchy phrase often used as a book and exhibit

"Plants in Our Lives" is another possibility.

David R. Hershey

Join Excite! -