Fwd: Plant Seminar

Joseph Holtum joseph.holtum at jcu.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 07:15:24 EST 2003

I run a course with the ridiculous title of 'Bush foods, plant defences
and
physiology' - a 3rd year level course that is really physiology by stealth.

We discuss plants that are eaten by desert- and coastal-dwelling
aboriginals -
what is eaten and why (talk about the trade-offs between labour required
and
seed size, washing out water-soluble toxins, characteristics of grasses
that
favour use by humans as food). At the end of this section it is clear
that the
common factors between the foods are the provision of proteins, lipids,
CHOs
and sugars. We then discuss where these components are in the plants,
how they
are synthesised, catabolised.

The next section of the course is about how plants defend themselves
from
things that eat them - hence defence theory, 2ndary metabolism etc. This
gives
an entre into how plants defend themselves from the extremes of
environment eg
photoprotection, drought tolerance, responses to high CO2. Then we
finish with
a couple of lectures on bioprospecting and plant genetic engineering.
The
course ends up with a function where we get stuck into various foods and
as
much beer and wine as we can take.

The idea was to teach some plant phys from an anthropocentric point of
view
because we have been noticing that many of our students had no interest
in
physiology taught from a photosynthetic angle (what a pity!).

It worked as a course - though there has been a steep learning course
for the
lecturer! Although it is run as a 3rd year course, I am sure that the
idea
could be tailored for any level.

For pracs we did a bush tucker plant identification prac and we
extracted
starch, proteins, sugars and fats from 3 bush tucker and 3
'conventional'
species (a seed species, a tuber and a fruit).

Regards

Joe Holtum