Plant Seminar

John E. Silvius SILVIUSJ at cedarville.edu
Fri Dec 12 11:18:41 EST 2003

David,
Thanks for your listing which should stimulate more thought-provoking
discussion.   For example, it is interesting that a logical addition to
one category (or both?) would be plant beverages, possibly considered in
several categories.   Like genetic engineering, some types at least
could be considered in both categories depending upon how humans choose
to use them.   For example, alcoholic beverages can present a very
positive experience when responsibly used but were responsible for over
40% of traffic fatalities in 2001 and have negative effects on academic
performance on college campuses.

John Silvius
Professor of Biology
Cedarville University,
Cedarville, Ohio   45314

>>> "David R. Hershey" <monrdh321 at excite.com> 12/11/03 03:04PM >>>

What about "Our Love-Hate Relationship with Plants."

Examples of "love" would be genetic engineering, phytoremediation,
medicinal plants, food crops, plants in art, crafts and religion,
horticultural art forms (grafting, espalier, bonsai, hydroponics),
plants as toys, plant use in teaching, flowers as symbols, plants in
the nature study movement, and use of landscape plants to improve the
human environment (aesthetics, recreation, green roofs, windbreaks,
screening of unsightly views, erosion prevention, crash barriers,
blocking glare, trees for shade and cooling, etc).

Examples of "hate" would be genetic engineering, human activities
endangering or causing extinction of plant species, invasive plants,
rain forest destruction, acid rain, illegal drug plants, tobacco,
poisonous plants, plant allergies and the massive ripoff of consumers
by the herbal supplements industry. I listed genetic engineering for
both love and hate because it is so controversial.

"Seeds of Change" is a catchy phrase often used as a book and exhibit
title.

"Plants in Our Lives" is another possibility.

David R. Hershey

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com