coal burl?

Robinson, Dr. David drobinson at bellarmine.edu
Thu Feb 27 15:57:28 EST 2003

Does anyone know where I can find a piece of coal that could be used to
demonstrate the fossil-fuel-nature of coal?....with imprints of leaves,
cycad stem, etc??? Does coal ever even show that?

Also, on this same topic....I wonder what other botanists are thinking
since that article was published last year in PNAS advocating the idea
that petroleum is NOT a fossil fuel.....will Biology and Botany
textbooks ever be altered to at least mention the possibility that
petroleum might not be a "fossil fuel"?

Thanks.   Dave Robinson, Bellarmine University, Louisville, KY