water relations and fall leaf color

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Jan 16 09:23:17 EST 2003

Greetings and Happy New Year.  I hope everyone is having a good start to
the new year and is enjoying the spam-free newsgroup!  Activity on
plant-ed has been rather light in recent months so I urge you to
remember to use it.  Please post your plant-related questions, answers,
ideas, job ads, and/or links to teaching activities you have developed
and wish to share.  If you are new to the group please have a look at
our charter so you know what we are about:
http://www.bio.net/charters/plant-ed.  If you want to encourage a
colleague to subscribe, send this url to them:

Here are two items to get us rolling.

1. Each year in Plant Phys when I teach water relations some students
ask for practice problems and each year I fail to get around to it.
Does anyone have a set of problems they would be willing to share to get
me started?

2. Last fall I was hiking in the nearby hills during peak leaf color
season and I caught myself staring at red maple leaves that were yellow
and red and peppered with brown hypersensitive spots.  I started
hypothesizing about why they looked as they did and thought it might
make an interesting problem for students (to stare and hypothesize...).
So I collected a bunch of leaves, took digital photos and placed them on
my course website on a page describing the assignment
Feel free to look at it, use it if you wish, and give me feedback on it
if you think it can be improved.

Best wishes,

Plant-ed moderator

 Jonathan D. Monroe                 Associate Professor
 Department of Biology, MSC 7801   office: 540-568-6649
 James Madison University             fax: 540-568-3333
 Harrisonburg, VA 22807         email: monroejd at jmu.edu