TYLOSES

lee hadden mohadden at wingate.edu
Mon Oct 13 10:49:01 EST 2003

Because without tyloses the whiskey would move vessel to vessel and,
under the force of gravity, drip out the ends of each stave.

I just presented this in class this morning and in lab will demonstrate
it.  Take a white oak and red oak twig 1/4 to 1/2 " in diameter [2 - 3"
long] and insert each [snugly] in their own piece of plastic tubing.
Attach the other end to a water outlet and slowly turn on the water just
a little.  Drops of water will appear at the end ot the red oak, but not
the white.  You can also hook the tubing to a gas jet and light the gas
coming out of the red oak.  Just be really careful -- I've seen flames
shoot out 10" from the end of the twig.

I normally practice this first to make sure the twig specimen will
"cooperate" and behave as it should.  You don't want to get a white oak
twig whose vessels are not yet completely blocked.

If someone has a more sure-fire demo for this I'd like to use it.

I also ask them why the whiskey barrel halves sold as planters at garden
centers are charred on the inside.  [They often assume they are
fire-damaged salvage.]  This is a good place to apply one of their
organic chemistry lab protocols [much to their surprise].

Lee Hadden
Professor of Biology
Wingate University
Wingate, NC  28174