Regarding Iris Meier's recent message

Jon Monroe monroejd at
Tue Oct 28 22:01:37 EST 2003

David et al.,

Your question begs me (as Plant-ed moderator) to blur the line between
messages that hold true to the charter
( and those that advertise.  In
Iris' case she asked a qustion about how to reach interested people.
I'm willing to do what Plant-ed readers want so if you have an opinion,
please respond to David's question:

"May we too advertise on Plant.Ed . Would anyone object?"

Jon Monroe

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Regarding Iris Meier's recent message
Date: 29 Oct 2003 02:36:40 -0000
From: d.a.walker at (David Alan Walker)
To: plant-ed at

In Plant .Ed, Iris Meier recently brought our attention  to  a “new
online course”.  I don’t wish to divert attention from the course
itself, which sounds eminently worthy of support. However, she raised
another matter, dear to my own heart, when she said, with admirable
frankness, :-

“I can't teach it for free (which I would) because the provider of the
online teaching service has to live too, so I will offer it for a
marginal fee of $8”.

We all have “to live too”. Like everyone I know in our business I have
made most, of what I have to contribute, freely available to my
colleagues but there is a residue. If  as a scientist you write a book
and it is published by a major publisher you may get a royalty of 10% if
you are lucky. Publishers have to live. So do book sellers. Both have to
advertise. I have no complaint. But authors and independent publishers
have “to live too” So what if you and I wish to publish something out of
the normal run of things? Publishing ‘online’ is not a problem and look
at what BitPass <> has now brought about. But how
to bring our wares to the attention of  potential readers?  Commercial
advertising is too costly to contemplate. May we too advertise on
Plant.Ed . Would anyone object?

>From David Walker, FRS., Emeritus Professor of Photosynthesis,
University of Sheffield, UK.

 Jonathan D. Monroe
 Associate Professor and Interim Head
 Department of Biology, MSC 7801
 James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807
 office: 540-568-6649, fax: 540-568-3333
 email: monroejd at