Regarding Iris Meier's recent message

Bill Williams WEWilliams at smcm.edu
Wed Oct 29 08:21:19 EST 2003

>David et al.,
>
>Your question begs me (as Plant-ed moderator) to blur the line between
>messages that hold true to the charter
>(http://www.bio.net/charters/plant-ed) and those that advertise.  In
>Iris' case she asked a qustion about how to reach interested people.
>I'm willing to do what Plant-ed readers want so if you have an opinion,
>please respond to David's question:
>
>"May we too advertise on Plant.Ed . Would anyone object?"
>
>Jon Monroe

Dear Jon,

Of course, "that depends." The occasional e-mail -- especially the
quietly humorous, literate sort we get from David Walker -- would be
more than welcome, even if it gently pointed one at a commercial
product of some kind. Deluges of flashy html would be extremely
unwelcome. In between, well, it's hard to say. My vote would be for
the charter to allow small quantities of gentle advertising and to
permit the moderator to decide what constitutes this. Are there legal
implications? Hmmm...

-W2
--
William E. Williams <MailTo:WEWilliams at smcm.edu>