Regarding Iris Meier's recent message

lee hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Wed Oct 29 09:16:44 EST 2003

This is not the type of advertising I mind.  Mentioning the availability of
a potentially helpful professional link, which happens to have a fee
associated with it, is not in the same category as being bombarded with ads
for sites or materials which are mainly for commercial gain, or more than
recovering basic operating expenses.  As long as Jon doesn't have to "blur"
too many lines [creating more trouble for him] I would not be opposed to
legitimate professional "advertising"  --  at least until that was the main
thing this site hosted or until every lab / lecture resource posted on the
internet had a fee tagged on to it.

I've yet to run into anyone who is in teaching for the money.  On the other
hand I don't think educators should have to subsidize education out of their
own pockets any more than we do with our modest salaries.  Fair
reimbursement is fair.

Lee Hadden
Department of Biology
Wingate University