Herbarium Labels

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 13 15:00:20 EST 2004

In October of 1998 Bill Williams asked how herbarium curators print
herbarium labels.  There were a number of suggestions but none of them
really made good use of computer technology (in my opinion) or they had
incomplete information.  Check out the thread
athttp://bionet.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/hypermail/plant-ed/plant-ed.199810/0071.html I
wonder if technology has moved ahead in the intervening 6 years so that
now there is a better solution.  Does anyone know of specialized
software that will do this or templates for Word?  I'm teaching a Local
Flora course this quarter and the students are collecting and pressing
20 plants each.  They need to make a standard herbarium label for each
specimen.  I have labels (6) printed on 8.5 x 11 paper and a typewriter
in the lab.  But the students had a "What's that?!" response when I
pointed them toward the typewriter!  They will type them, of course, but
they think there must be a more modern way!  So do I! Any
suggestions? Dave Kramer

--

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu