Herbarium Labels

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 13 15:00:20 EST 2004

In October of 1998 Bill Williams asked how herbarium curators print
herbarium labels.  There were a number of suggestions but none of them
really made good use of computer technology (in my opinion) or they had
incomplete information.  Check out the thread
athttp://bionet.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/hypermail/plant-ed/plant-ed.199810/0071.html I
wonder if technology has moved ahead in the intervening 6 years so that
now there is a better solution.  Does anyone know of specialized
software that will do this or templates for Word?  I'm teaching a Local
Flora course this quarter and the students are collecting and pressing
20 plants each.  They need to make a standard herbarium label for each
specimen.  I have labels (6) printed on 8.5 x 11 paper and a typewriter
in the lab.  But the students had a "What's that?!" response when I
pointed them toward the typewriter!  They will type them, of course, but
they think there must be a more modern way!  So do I! Any
suggestions? Dave Kramer

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu