mRNA extraction

John E. Silvius SILVIUSJ at cedarville.edu
Wed Apr 28 14:22:59 EST 2004

Dave,
I cannot speak for RNA yield, but my experience with liquid N2-frozen
leaf tissue stored for a number of weeks, then lyophilized, gives good
enzyme activity, reflective of direct extractions from fresh tissue.

John Silvius
Professor of Biology
Cedarville University

>>> "Robinson, Dr. David" <drobinson at bellarmine.edu> 4/28/2004 11:12:11
AM >>>

I know this is not exactly a "Plant Education" question (except that
it
involves student research).....but does anyone know whether we can
store
plant tissue (by quick-freezing it in liquid nitrogen, and then
storing
it at -80C) and still get a good yield of mRNA?
=20
I have heard stories that it is far better to work with fresh tissue,
but wondering if I can "get by" storing it like this for awhile.
=20
Thanks for any advice!=20

Dave Robinson
Biology Department