phosphate poor environments

Warwick Silvester wbs at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Aug 4 16:20:01 EST 2004

The older a natural soil is the more likely it is to be phosphate poor.
This is  so for soils from almost any source but especialy so for
volcanic soils that contain allophane or other  amorphous clays that
bind P into the  clay matrix. Plant biologists that work with
mycorrhizas will be able to identify such situations as plants become
increasingly dependent on mycorrhizas as the P level gets lower.

Warwick Silvester
Dept of Biological Sciences
University of Waikato
Hamilton