phosphate poor environments

Warwick Silvester wbs at
Wed Aug 4 16:20:01 EST 2004

The older a natural soil is the more likely it is to be phosphate poor.
This is  so for soils from almost any source but especialy so for
volcanic soils that contain allophane or other  amorphous clays that
bind P into the  clay matrix. Plant biologists that work with
mycorrhizas will be able to identify such situations as plants become
increasingly dependent on mycorrhizas as the P level gets lower.

Warwick Silvester
Dept of Biological Sciences
University of Waikato
New Zealand
Ph  07 838 4613
Fax 07 838 4324
E-mail  w.silvester at

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-plant-ed at
[mailto:owner-plant-ed at] On Behalf Of "Fisher, Roxanne"
Sent: Saturday, 24 July 2004 3:47 a.m.
To: plant-ed at
Subject: phosphate poor environments

[sorry for the delay in posting this message.  Jon Monroe, moderator]

Dear Plant-Ed Folks:

I have a colleague in Chemistry here at Chatham that is interested in
studying mineral uptake of plants that grow in phosphate poor
environments.  His question is: which environments are phosphate poor?
I didn't have a good answer for him, and I was hoping one of you would

Roxanne H. Fisher
Assistant Professor of Biology
Buhl Hall
Chatham College