MacClade Examples for Plants?

Jensen, Douglas Doug.Jensen at
Mon Dec 6 17:07:56 EST 2004

I don't know of one offhand; but it shouldn't be difficult to create one
using a good published paper.  Personally, I might go with an early
evolution of land plants study by Mishler and others....

Mishler, B. D. and S. P. Churchill. 1984. A cladistic approach to the
phylogeny of the bryophytes. Brittonia 36: 406-424.

Mishler, B. D. and S. P. Churchill. 1985. Transition to a land flora:
phylogenetic relationships of the green algae and bryophytes. Cladistics
1: 305-328.

Graham, L. E., C. F. Delwiche and B. D. Mishler. 1991. Phylogenetic
connections between the "green algae" and "bryophytes". Advances in
Bryology 4: 213-244.

Douglas P. Jensen
Assistant Professor and Biology Chair
Converse College
580 E. Main St.
Spartanburg, South Carolina 29302
douglas.jensen at

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-plant-ed at
[mailto:owner-plant-ed at]On Behalf Of Bill Williams
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 10:46 AM
To: plant-ed at
Subject: MacClade Examples for Plants?

Dear Plant Ed,

I am presenting some very elementary aspects of cladistics to a class,
and I'd like to use MacClade for a live demonstration. The program
comes with a very nice data matrix and some sample trees dealing with
the evolution of the vertebrates; does anyone know of a similar
ready-made data matrix for plants? Perhaps for dividing up the major
groups of plants? I'd love to see a URL or some data...

William E. Williams <mailto:WEWilliams at>
Professor of Biology
Saint Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E Fisher Rd, Saint Marys City, MD 20686