Vermiculite

Kathleen Pelkki Pelkki at svsu.edu
Wed Feb 11 11:02:46 EST 2004

 I just discovered that the nursery we usually buy vermiculite from is
no longer going to carry it because of the possibility that it may
contain asbestos. I need a non-soil medium to use in our growth
chambers... something that will not provide any nutrients in case we are
doing a nutrient deficiency study.  We also use a self-watering system
which requires the placement of a wick in the planting medium. Any
ideas?  What are others using if vermiculite is no longer available?
Thanks so much for your help! Kathy Kathleen Pelkki
Biology Department
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, Michigan 78710