Ricin, etc.

Virginia Berg Virginia.Berg at uni.edu
Wed Feb 11 20:32:01 EST 2004

I have read (but not tested) that all parts of the plant are highly
toxic from ricin. If this is true, it is amazing anybody uses it as an
ornamental plant. The oil from the seeds does not contain the
water-soluble ricin, but the crushed seeds do. Personally, I would try
to find something else to experiment with in a classroom. It seems
politically charged now, as well as physiologically dangerous. One
hysterical parent....

An interesting side note on oils from toxic seeds: I was in a remote
region in NW Nepal (seen in the movie "Himalaya" [or "Caravan" in
Eurasia]), and watched local people washing semi-rotted apricot pits
before removing the seeds. They extract oil from the seeds. I asked the
people if they did anything with the remaining meal after the oil was
extracted, and they said no, it was toxic, so they couldn't even feed it
to the animals. As the laetrile promoters know, apricot seeds are an
excellent source of cyanogenic compounds. At least the villagers where I
was weren't trying to use it to cure cancer.

--Gini Berg