pollination video?

SMeissne at aol.com SMeissne at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 20:30:46 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/30/2004 2:04:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
RFisher at Chatham.edu writes:

> I'm teaching botany this spring.  The last time I taught it, I
> remember
> thinking showing a video about pollination would be more effective
> than
> showing still photos or drawings and discussing them.  Do any of you
> have a video you can recommend?  When I was a teaching assistant we
> showed a video called "close encounters of the floral kind" or
> something
> like that. Since that was a while ago (you can guess from the title!)
> thought there might be something better/newer out there.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Roxanne

Why not grow the pollen tubes yourself?  Wildflower pollen works well
(much better than cultivated flowers which tend to be so inbred).  I
have seen intro bio courses that have students bring in wildflowers,
collect pollen, put the pollen on slides with medium for growth and then
the pollen tubes grow over the course of minutes to hours.  It makes for
a fun fit in a lab on angiosperm life cycle-stuff, and the students get
to see lots of pollen morphologies...

A good general purpose pollen growth medium is given in the following
work:

Brewbaker J.L., B.H. Kwack- 1963-The essential role of calcium ion in
pollen germination and pollen tube growth- American Journal of Botany
vol 50:  859-865

Once you have your own growing pollen, then you can use a video camera
hooked up to a microscope to capture the images and make your own
videos.

Good luck with it.

Scott T. Meissner
University Bum!