video copyright issues

Wil Taylor taylorwa at uwec.edu
Wed Nov 3 12:24:50 EST 2004

Hello all,

Since we're talking about copyright issues, I'll seek advice from the group
about a related issue - DVD copies of aging VHS tapes that are no longer
distributed by the original sources.

Our media people can make such transfers, but they are hesitant to do so if
they can't get copyright permission.  The tape in question, here, is
something called Web of Life, a video about biodiversity that we use every
semester.  Films for the Humanities and Sciences no longer handles it, nor
does the producer, WQED.   Any advice or experience about this specific
case or more general ones?

Also, I'll repeat a request I sent to this list a few years ago for an
actual copy of the "Secret Life of Plants" pseudoscience piece.  Does
anyone have a copy?  I'd love to see it.  This is the one with Stevie
Wonder numbers as part of the soundtrack.

Cheers,

Wil Taylor

 Jonathan D. Monroe, Associate Professor
 Department of Biology, MSC 7801
 James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807
 office: 540-568-6649, fax: 540-568-3333
 email: monroejd at jmu.edu
 http://csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html