rising tree sap links

Lee Hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Tue Apr 12 16:30:27 EST 2005

There are some interesting and helpful [usually] web links available.
Several are listed below with some info re myths from one included.

Hope this helps.

E. Lee Hadden
Professor of Biology
Wingate University
Wingate, NC  28174

http://ohioline.osu.edu/b856/b856_48.html
    North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual
Bulletin 856 Chapter 6 . Maple Sap Production - Tapping, Collection and
Storage       Physiology of Sap Flow

http://www.mi-maplesyrup.com/Members/mem_nl_2004_1spring_06sapflow.htm
Understanding Sap Flow    Timothy Wilmot
	University of Vermont Proctor Maple Research Center
     Common myths about sap flow in maple: [from link listed above]

    1. Sap flow does not start until the soil thaws out. Actually, forest
soils are rarely frozen at any depth if there has been snow cover for most
of the winter. Snow is an excellent insulator. In addition, loose and
decaying leaves on the forest floor provide a good layer of insulation to
the roots beneath them.
    2. Sap flow in maple occurs because of root pressure. There is some flow
caused by root pressure in most trees, but the pressures generated this way
are nowhere near as high as the pressure that comes from the branches, as
described above. Root pressure does not occur until the soil starts warming,
which is usually after the maple sap season has ended.
    3. How sap flows from maple is still a mystery to scientists. There are
some aspects of the mechanism that are still in debate, but there is general
agreement about the way positive pressure is generated, and how that
pressure is responsible for sap flow.

http://www.massmaple.org/flow.html
	How to Explain Sap Flow

http://www.mi-maplesyrup.com/Information/info.htm
	Michigan Maple Syrup Association  [with assorted links listed]