Starch Pictures

David Alan Walker d.a.walker at
Fri Apr 15 07:05:48 EST 2005

Starch pictures have long been widely used for teaching and research.
The degree of resolution that can be obtained has posed a question that
has remained unanswered for several decades. Recently I asked Jerry
Servaities and Don Geiger to offer their thoughts on this matter in the
light of their research and contemporary understanding. I have now taken
the liberty of adding their explanation to a PowerPoint presentation on
this subject that, in accord with  the concept of ‘open access’, is now
available, courtesy of Oxygraphics, for free
download (3.4 MB) from

More details about how to obtain pictures of very high resolution are
also available (in an extract from ‘Energy, Plants & Man’, ISBN 1 870232
05 4) at

David Walker

  From David Walker, FRS., Emeritus Professor of Photosynthesis,
University of Sheffield, UK.