Starch Pictures

David Alan Walker d.a.walker at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 07:05:48 EST 2005

Starch pictures have long been widely used for teaching and research.
The degree of resolution that can be obtained has posed a question that
has remained unanswered for several decades. Recently I asked Jerry
Servaities and Don Geiger to offer their thoughts on this matter in the
light of their research and contemporary understanding. I have now taken
the liberty of adding their explanation to a PowerPoint presentation on
this subject that, in accord with  the concept of ‘open access’, is now
available, courtesy of Oxygraphics, for free
download (3.4 MB) from

http://www.digitalpublisher.co.uk/Oxygraphics/starch.ppt

More details about how to obtain pictures of very high resolution are
also available (in an extract from ‘Energy, Plants & Man’, ISBN 1 870232
05 4) at

http://www.digitalpublisher.co.uk/Oxygraphics/starchpics.pdf

David Walker

  From David Walker, FRS., Emeritus Professor of Photosynthesis,