[Plant-education] The state of higher education

Bill Williams WEWilliams at smcm.edu
Sun Aug 14 17:14:05 EST 2005

I think part of what's happening here is that many -- most? -- of us
who try to use discovery-based laboratories gave up on commercial lab
manuals long ago. I know I use them mostly for reference, and I
sometimes lend the samples I receive to students as a source of ideas
and protocols. Is this the case for the rest of us? I haven't thought
a lot about what a discovery-based lab manual would look like,
although the home-grown ones we use for our introductory biology
sequence might be a start. They have a series of cook-book labs
interlaced with free labs, but of course there's not a lot of detail
about the free labs because the students design them themselves. A
terrific source book is the excellent (though somewhat dated) "Class
Experiments in Plant Physiology" by Hans Meidner, a teacher's guide
that I also sometimes lend to students as a sourcebook. Are there
other books like this that members of this group know about?

-W2