allelopathy lab

Fisher, Roxanne RFisher at Chatham.edu
Thu Feb 3 11:37:52 EST 2005

Dear Plant-Ed folks:

We’ve been doing an allelopathy lab this year for our non-science majors
science lab course.  For our positive control we’ve been using an
extract we prepare from tree of heaven seedlings.  Our problem is that
we’ve used all of our frozen leaves and we won’t have leaves on the
trees by the time we need to do the lab this semester.  My question to
you: is there a chemical we can use that we can use for our positive
control to inhibit seed germination that is either the active chemical
in tree of heaven or a good mimic?  Alternatively, is there some other
plant part we could gather in the winter and use instead?

Thanks!

Roxanne

Roxanne H. Fisher

Assistant Professor of Biology