digital cameras and microscopes

Kathleen Archer Kathleen.Archer at trincoll.edu
Fri Jan 28 16:25:04 EST 2005

Dear Plant Ed Folks,
Awhile back I requested information on Carolina Biological's digital
camera.  Here are the responses I got:

1.  I have used the videoflex system.  I am not sure it is the same
model, but it looks like it is.  I have been surprised at the
flexibility of the camera.  You can focus across the room or through the
microscope and the quality is quite good.  My grad student really likes
it for teaching labs, and we especially use it when we are looking at
live plankton sorts of things.

Janice

2,  Hi Kathleen,
I have been looking into eyepiece mounted cameras and have noticed that
you can get them now from many sources. I am not familiar with
Carolina's but maybe getting a good camera from a camera place and an
adapter might be at least as good? Below are two websites you might find
useful. Would you let me know what others have thought of the Carolina
system?

http://www.microscope-depot.com/digadapt.asp
http://www.microscopesusa.com/maxview_plus.html

Cheers,
Andreas

3.  Kathleen,
one more interesting website with recommendations of one versus an other
system. Scroll down to  "Our conclusions".
Best,
Andreas

http://www.microscopeworld.com/digital/MC-Notes.htm

Andreas Madlung

Thanks to Janice and Andreas for their tips!
Kathleen Archer

Kathleen Archer
Dept. Biology
Trinity College