[Plant-education] Problem solving in plant biology

Susan Singer ssinger at carleton.edu
Tue Jul 26 22:07:46 EST 2005

Colleagues,
Several years ago I began a study with a cognitive science colleague on how
novices, intermediates, and experts solve life cycle and photosynthesis
problems. As we were writing up our findings ,we  realized that it would be
very helpful to have experts rate the level of difficulty of the 3
questions below for a beginning undergraduate who has only had a basic
introduction to plant biology. I realize that intro courses vary widely,
what I'm more interested in is your sense of how hard the questions would
be for beginning college student who is not an expert in biology, but has
at least heard of the concepts addressed in the question. There are three
spaces below to rank the question 1-10 where 10 is the highest level of
difficulty and 1 is the least.
Thanks in advance to those of you who are willing to help out.
Susan

Plant Biology Questions

1)	A fern sporophyte has 2 alleles, B and b, of a gene that affects
production of a purple, non-photosynthetic pigment.  Diagram what happens
to the alleles in the production of spores, gametophytes, and gametes.

Diagram:

Rated difficulty (1-10)  _____________

2)  List how photosynthesis and respiration are alike and how they differ.

Rated difficulty (1-10)  _____________

3)  Draw a simple diagram (not an equation) of photosynthesis.  On your
diagram, indicate what would happen if:

	a) Levels of CO2 are very low.

	b) An herbicide blocks electron transport.

	c) All available light is green.

Rated difficulty (1-10)  _____________

Susan R. Singer
Professor of Biology