[Plant-education] Phloem vessels an acceptable term?

David R. Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Sat Jul 30 18:02:21 EST 2005

A google.com search revealed that the term, phloem vessels, has been
used in recent articles in American Naturalist, Annals of Botany, Crop
Science, Journal of Experimental Botany, New Phytologist, Plant Cell,
Plant Pathology, Plant Physiology, Phytopathology and other research
journals. It is also used in dozens of educational websites.

I assume that what the authors actually meant was phloem sieve tubes.
Phloem vessels seems like an oxymoron because vessels are xylem
structures. Has botanical terminology become so lax that phloem vessels
is becoming an acceptable term?

David R. Hershey

More information about the Plant-ed mailing list