[Plant-education] 'A New Leaf in Time'

David Alan Walker d.a.walker at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 05:46:36 EST 2005

Some time ago I started to write a book called ³A New Leaf in Time¹.
Ostensibly it is intended for children, in particular for my grand-daughter
Billie Walker, now ten.  But, in a time-honoured tradition, it is also aimed
at much older readers.  It claims to be ³A book about photosynthesis and how
plants have changed the world.² It is wildly idiosyncratic and, in the
manner of an earlier digital book in PDF called ŒLike Clockwork¹, draws
widely on the remarkable resources of  the internet via hyperlinks. Sadly,
as yet another birthday approaches, it seems more and more unlikely that it
will ever be finished.  Trouble is I hate to think that what has already
been written is entirely wasted effort so I am making the first chapter
freely available for download at

 http://www.chloroplasts.plus.com/one.pdf

 If contributors to Plant-ed applaud, I may yet get to work again on the
subsequent chapters and make these similarly available, when they are
³finished². If, as I fear is much more likely, there is no positive
response, then I will know that it really is time to put my computer to rest
and get out more often.

If you do feel inclined to download it be warned that, while it has few
pages, they occupy about 18 MB (about 3 minutes on regular UK commercial
broadband).

David Walker