[Plant-education] Duckweed Growth Experiment

Danny danny615 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:02:16 EST 2005

I'm a high school junior and am interested in performing an experiment
with duckweed (Lemna minor). I am hoping to submit the project to the
Miami-Dade County Science Fair in the fall. My objective is to measure
the growth rate of the duckweed population in solutions high in certain
nutrients (N-P-K-Micronutrients). I am looking for advice on what
methods would be best. I have already done a pre-test of sorts with
very poor results. Commercial fertilizers and problems with water
quality impeded growth. I am very interested in any scholarly journals,
internet sites, references, etc. which could be of help. Advice is
welcome, particularly on the experimental setup and procedure, which I
am having a lot of trouble with. I also want to relate the experiment
to what actually happens in ecosystems where nutrient runoff from
agriculture polute waterways and cause eutrophication. Any and all help
will be sincerely appreciated.