[Plant-education] <no subject>

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 9 11:03:30 EST 2005

Susan wrote:

i don't want to teach astrology or intelligent design, but i'm glad
to hear effective explanations of why not, since i'm called on to
explain this regularly to my nonmajor biology students. i haven't
checked out that programme yet, but i will. i need more than
righteous indignation to convince students of the validity of
evolutionary theory.

sandra

You also might want to read:

Finding Darwin's God: A Scientist's Search for Common Ground Between
God and Evolution -- by Kenneth R. Miller
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060930497/qid=1131551326/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2477755-8466523?v=glance&s=books

I finally found time to read Miller's book this summer.  It is hard
going in spots but the early chapters deal with come of the evidence
behind many of the aspects of evolutionary theory that are frequently
the targets of the creationists/intelligent designers.  In the later
chapters Miller presents arguments for the the possibility that
scientists, even those who are aware of the preponderance of evidence
for evolution, can subscribe to and practice one of the world's
religions.  He also argues (I think effectively) that bashing our
students' religious heritage and beliefs is counter productive.  A
very interesting and enlightening read.  Of course, there are many
other books of similar nature.

The endorsement of this book is a personal opinion of the author and
does not necessarily reflect the opinion of his department colleagues
or of Ohio State University.
--
David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu