[Plant-education] Assessing botany courses for students and faculty

Beverly Brown bbrown6 at naz.edu
Tue Oct 25 15:53:40 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm looking for some new assessment tools.  The first is to assess student
learning.  Anyone aware of a standardized test for botanical content in an
undergraduate semester overview course?

Second, I'm looking for assessment tools for teaching when the approach is
to teach to multiple learning styles (so not just lecture, but a variety of
mini-lectures, activities, discussion, small group work, etc.).

I'm finding students in botany 1) are generally not intrinsically motivated
by the material, 2) are used to lecture-based courses and struggle with
taking more responsibility for their learning, and 3) therefore can't always
see what they are learning despite some reflective components.  So, I am
trying to tease out all these factors.

All help welcome!

Beverly J. Brown
Assistant Professor