[Plant-education] Re: Plants & People/Health Course

monique monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 26 16:32:34 EST 2006

Donna I. Ford-Werntz wrote:
> Hi all, I've been asked to develop a new course in Economic/Ethnbotany
> (possibly as narrow as Medical Botany).  Suggestions regarding textbook or
> other resources (syllabi, websites, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks for your help!

We use "Economic Botany:  Plants in Our World" by Simpson and Ogorzaly.
  I think
they're up to the third edition.  Our website is at:
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/biolherb/botn328.htm  From this portal
page you can look at the lab and lecture syllabi, course notes, and lab
overviews.

I'm sorry you're planning a no-lab course.  Watching the students eat
weird fruits, try new legumes, encounter wild plants, make paper, and
cook and serve a plant based dish is what makes this course a joy to
teach. The students also seem to really like the lab.

Monique Reed
Texas A&M