[Plant-education] Re: Water Lily Picture

David R. Hershey dh321 at excite.com
Mon Jun 19 10:14:23 EST 2006

The USDA Plants Database is a good place to locate plant drawings, e.g.
Their page for American white waterlily (Nymphaea odorata).

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=NYOD

At the bottom of the above webpage, there are links under the heading
"Other Species Accounts and Images." The link to the Flora of North
America will lead to three line drawings of water lilies in the profile
style:

http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?object_id=41236&flora_id=1

I believe waterlily is most commonly used by botanists but water lily
is also common (although technically incorrect according to some
botanists). Water-lily is also sometimes used.

There are some botanical publications that have a rule that if the
species is not a member of the family or genus being referred to by
part of the common name, then the common name must be one word or
hyphenated, i.e. waterlily or water-lily, rather than water lily,
because Nymphaea is not in the Lily family or Liliaceae.

I find that rule silly as explained in the reference. Hyphenation in
general is used much less than in the past, and many editors will often
remove hyphens even if a botanist has carefully put hyphens in to
follow the above rule.

David R. Hershey

Reference

Hershey, D.R. 2003. Osage-orange versus Osage orange. Sci.bio.botany
newsgroup. Dec. 10.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.bio.botany/browse_frm/thread/5cc75162ab6145c6/5f61845f8fb0e976?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#5f61845f8fb0e976