[Plant-education] Scientific truth

William E Williams via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by WEWilliams from smcm.edu)
Wed Nov 1 09:02:54 EST 2006

> So where does Plant Ed stand on these matters?. Do we deny Global
> Climate
> Change. Do we deny Intelligent Design? Are we allowed to talk about
> these
> matters or must we follow the  old U.K dictum (that brought us
> where we are
> now) to avoid all discussion of polotics , sex or religion?

David Allen Walker, as always, briings up interesting points. Two
very encouraging bits of news recently:

1. In the face of an election race for State Board of Education that
pits a rational person against a creationist, the science faculty of
Case Western Reserve recently found 90% of themselves signing a
petition endorsing the evolutionary candidate. One could, of course,
ask why it wasn't 100%, but only if one had never been on any
committees.

2. We showed "An Inconvenient Truth" to most of our student body here
a couple of weeks ago, and virtually the only questions I got from
the 40 or so students I'm personally acquainted with were about what
they could do personally to reduce global warming.

-W2

William E. Williams <mailto:WEWilliams from smcm.edu>
Professor of Biology
Saint Mary's College of Maryland
18952 E Fisher Rd, Saint Marys City, MD 20686
(240)895-4365