[Plant-education] plant biology-plant "feeding" question

Jensen, Douglas via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by Doug.Jensen At Converse.edu)
Fri Nov 17 10:19:37 EST 2006

Kristen et al.,

I go with the second person's suggestion that although roots may absorb
sugars, it is insignificant for typical plants.  At the moment, I would
hesitate to even mention the possibility in middle school.  I think the
black and white general rules will be better at that stage, and the more
interesting gray areas can come up later.

I do have an issue with the "food" part.  Plants do absorb nutrients
(building materials) through their roots, and this fits with the
definition of food.  They just don't absorb the energy to use those
nutrients through their roots.

That's my 2 cents for now.

Doug
Douglas P. Jensen
Assistant Professor and Chair of Biology
Converse College
Spartanburg, South Carolina, 29302
douglas.jensen At converse.edu
(864)596-9123