[Plant-education] Re: plant biology-plant "feeding" question

tj via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by t-jacobs At uiuc.edu)
Mon Nov 20 14:11:08 EST 2006

Kirsten et al.

I agree with Doug about black, white and gray w/respect to middle
schoolers on issues like this.  While (at least some) higher plants can
and do take up and re-fix previously fixed carbon through their roots
(see for example Hibberd & Quick (2002)  Nature 415: 451-454), this
detail will distract middleschoolers from the main lessons they should
be taking home about plants' lifestyle and even more fundamentally the
role that lifestyle plays in ecosystems.

More importantly, I really chafe at the use of "food" to describe what
plants take up.  That word is so loaded with baggage of human
(heterotrophic) dietary consumption that its use can dangerously mislead
naive learners who need to appreciate the fundamental differences
between the heterotrophic and autotrophic lifestyles of animals and
plants, respectively.    IMHO, lay off "food" in this context if at all
possible.

Cheers,

Tom