[Plant-education] vermiculite and other dusty materials

Carl Pike via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by carl.pike from fandm.edu)
Tue Oct 17 13:55:10 EST 2006

In designing a new greenhouse, we are concerned about dust during
mixing and potting operations.  This leads to 2 questions -

1. Can anyone recommend a system for dust removal that could be
installed over the potting bench?  Someone suggested the devices used
around woodworking machinery.  We've heard about "snorkels" that are
used in medical settings.

2. I have heard particular concerns about the safety of vermiculite.
I was "brought up" using vermiculite for seedlings (peas, oats, etc.)
either in the light or dark when the growth period was just a week or
two.  Are there some types of vermiculite that are of less concern?
What are people using instead?

Many thanks.   Carl
--
Carl S. Pike
Harry W. and Mary B. Huffnagle Professor of Botany

Department of Biology                Phone (717) 291-3958
Franklin and Marshall College       email CARL.PIKE from FANDM.EDU
P.O. Box 3003                            fax (717) 358-4548
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003  USA

Physical address (for UPS, etc.)
415 Harrisburg Ave.
Lancaster, PA  17603