[Plant-education] algae texts

Scott Shumway via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by sshumway from wheatonma.edu)
Wed Oct 25 15:38:25 EST 2006

Plant-ed,

In the spring I'll be teaching a jr-sr level course entitled
"Freshwater and Marine Botany."  The first time I taught the course
it was basically an algae course, heavily biased toward marine
systems.  Two-thirds of the classes were lectures and the rest were
student presentations of primary literature.

I am searching for a textbook.  Last time I used Sze "A Biology of
the Algae".  It is relatively inexpensive, easy to read, and not
overly detailed.  I tended to prepare by reading Graham & Wilcox 2000
"Algae."

Does anyone have suggestions for other books?  or on the relative
merits of Sze or Graham & Wilcox from the point of view of holding
the interest of an undergraduate?

Thanks,
Scott

p.s.  I've been away from this listserv for several years.  I'm
looking forward to being back on.  I hope the spam has gone away...
--
Scott Shumway
Professor of Biology