[Plant-education] algae texts

Scott Shumway via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by sshumway from wheatonma.edu)
Wed Oct 25 15:38:25 EST 2006

In the spring I'll be teaching a jr-sr level course entitled
"Freshwater and Marine Botany."  The first time I taught the course
it was basically an algae course, heavily biased toward marine
systems.  Two-thirds of the classes were lectures and the rest were
student presentations of primary literature.

I am searching for a textbook.  Last time I used Sze "A Biology of
the Algae".  It is relatively inexpensive, easy to read, and not
overly detailed.  I tended to prepare by reading Graham & Wilcox 2000

Does anyone have suggestions for other books?  or on the relative
merits of Sze or Graham & Wilcox from the point of view of holding
the interest of an undergraduate?

p.s.  I've been away from this listserv for several years.  I'm
looking forward to being back on.  I hope the spam has gone away...
Scott Shumway
Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biology
Wheaton College