[Plant-education] Botany book recommendation?

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 12:56:16 EST 2006

I have gotten interested in biology in the last couple of years
and would like to do some serious reading in botany.  I'm
interested in understanding both the low level chemistry and
the larger physiology of plants.

So far I have read Neil Campbell's _Biology_, followed
by a fairly simple book on general, organic and biochemistry,
and just today finished Alberts et. al. _Molecular Biology
of the Cell_ (a five month effort!)

I'm looking for something that is up to date, authoritative,
theoretical, and treats the reader as a serious student
for whom spoon feeding is not desirable.

I've got a 1999 6th edition of _Biology of Plants_ by Peter
Raven et. al.  I see a 2004 edition has come out, but they've
cut back the coverage.

Is Raven's a good book to read?  Is there something clearly
better?

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Thanks.

    Alan