[Plant-education] Re: (no subject)

David R. Hershey via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by dh321 from excite.com)
Tue Aug 28 16:08:39 EST 2007

Peter's 20-20-20 is not a good fertilizer for hydroponics. It has too
much ammonium nitrogen, which drives the solution pH down, and lacks
calcium. Your plants probably had a severe calcium deficiency.

Use a half strength Hoagland solution or commercial hydroponic
fertilizer that contains all the essential elements. Peter's Hydro Sol
(5-11-26) is designed for hydroponics and has 100% N as nitrate. It
requires that calcium nitrate be added because Hydro Sol also lacks
calcium.

http://www.scottsprohort.com/_documents/WSF/PetersProfessional/H4032.pdf

You could probably cut the nitrogen to 100 mg/L. A cheap pocket
electrical conductivity (EC) meter can be used to monitor solution
depletion.

David R. Hershey