[Plant-education] Re: bioethanol

David R. Hershey via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by dh321 At excite.com)
Sat Jan 6 19:13:16 EST 2007

Bioethanol could be produced without any fossil fuel energy.
Moonshiners used to do it in early America. However, few, if any,
farmers would be willing to go back to using only animal-driven farm
machinery and manual labor to grow and harvest crops.

Although an exciting time, I believe that we are also in a
disappointing time for U.S. federal energy policy. There are many
innovative ideas out there but the federal government is not embracing
most of them. Huge amounts of tax dollars are being wasted on
bioethanol that could be better spent on newer, more efficient
technologies. Pimentel and Patzek (2005) identified the danger of
inaccurate reports on the energy efficiency of bioethanol production,
i.e. "this misleads U.S. policy makers and the public." Pimentel and
Patzek (2006) also mentioned environmental and ethical problems with
corn bioethanol.

Bioethanol is a politically attractive boondoogle and an old technology
to fuel gas-guzzling SUVs. Except use of bioethanol as a fuel additive,
it is illogical to use more than one energy unit of fossil fuel to
produce one energy unit of bioethanol. It would be cheaper and more
efficient to just use the fossil fuel directly.

If the U.S. had a sensible energy policy, we would be widely embracing
a variety of more efficient technologies such as wind power, solar
power, energy conservation, hybrid cars, electric cars and lightweight
Hypercars. The aim of Hypercars is to get 3 to 5 times the fuel economy
of current cars. One example of how bioethanol may slow development of
better technologies was Ford's decision in June, 2006 to abandon their
hybrid car program to concentrate on alternative fuel, especially E85,
cars.

The holy grail of bioethanol is cellulosic ethanol, which could use
virtually any plant biomass. It is not clear if cellulosic ethanol will
ever be economically viable. Pimentel and Patzek (2005) concluded that
corn bioethanol required 29% more fossil fuel energy than in the
ethanol produced, bioethanol from switchgrass and wood required 50% and
57% more fossil fuel energy, respectively. Research on cellulosic
ethanol should be continued, but we cannot yet count on cellulosic
ethanol as an important part of our liquid fuel supply. Even the most
optimistic predictions indicate that bioethanol production could only
partly meet the world's transportation fuel needs. The entire U.S. corn
crop converted to bioethanol would replace just 6% of our petroleum use
(Pimentel and Patzek 2006)

Even the overly-optimistic calculations of Michaal Wang from the
Argonne National Laboratory indicate that it takes 0.74 energy units
from fossil fuel to produce one energy unit of ethanol from corn. That
is not an efficient conversion and still relies very heavily on fossil
fuels.

It is a popular myth that the powdered beverage mix, Tang, was a
product of the U.S. space program. Tang was first marketed in 1957 by
General Foods and was not used on a space flight until the 1965 Gemini
4 mission.

I'm not sure that the U.S. space program is a good example of a
government investment that made "economic sense" considering the tens
of billions of tax dollars spent. Many of the accomplishments of the
U.S. space program are intangibles such as national pride, more
knowledge about space, launching a 77 year old former senator into
space to set the record for the oldest man in space, museum exhibits
and educational programs that also promote NASA, such as the NASA
Tomato Seeds in Space Project.

David R. Hershey
http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/hershey/bio.htm