[Plant-education] Re: misconcepts

David R. Hershey via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by dh321 At excite.com)
Mon Jan 8 19:49:19 EST 2007

The review by Wood-Robinson (1991) lists a lot of the older literature
on student misconceptions about plants. Some recent studies are listed
below. The ERIC database might turn up some other articles.

Many of the textbook misconceptions on plants are also likely to be
student misconceptions. According to Wandersee and Clary (2006), plant
blindness is a "default condition" for most students. Hershey (2002)
offered a different interpretation of plant blindness.

David R. Hershey

Amir, R., and P. Tamir. 1994. In-depth analysis of misconceptions as a
basis for developing research-based remedial instruction: The case of
photosynthesis. American Biology Teacher 56: 94-100.

Barman, C.R., Stein, M., McNair, S. and Barman, N.S. 2006. Student's
ideas about plants & plant growth. American Biology Teacher 68: 73-79.

Berthelsen, B. 1999. Students naïve conceptions in life science.
Michigan Science Teacher's Association Journal, 44: 13-19.

Canal, P. 1999. Photosynthesis and "inverse respiration" in plants: An
inevitable misconception? International Journal of Science Education
21: 363-371.

Hershey, D.R. 2002. Plant blindness: "We have met the enemy and he is
us." Plant Science Bulletin 48:78-84.

Kranz, P.D. and Barrow, L.H. 2006. Inquiry with seeds to meet the
science education standards. American Biology Teacher 68: 92-97.

McNair, S. and Stein, M. 2001. Drawing on their understanding: Using
illustrations to invoke deeper thinking about plants. In Rubba, P.,
Rye, J., DiBase, W., & Crawford, B. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2001
Annual International Conference of the Association for the Education of
Teachers in Science. Costa Mesa, CA: Association for the Education of
Teachers in Science.

Stein, M. and McNair, S. 2002. Science drawings as a tool for analyzing
conceptual understanding. In Rubba, P., Rye, J., DiBase, W., &
Crawford, B. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2002 Annual International
Conference of the Association for the Education of Teachers in Science.

Wandersee, J.H. and Clary, R.M. 2006. Advances in research: Toward a
theory of plant blindness. The Nature of Success: Success for Nature.
The 6th International Congress on Education in Botanic Gardens.

Wood-Robinson, C. 1991. Young people's ideas about plants. Studies in
Science Education 19: 119-135.

Overcoming Ecological Misconceptions

Common Misconceptions in Biology

Misconceptions in Science