[Plant-education] Genevestigator

Les Erickson via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by FLERICKSON At salisbury.edu)
Tue Jan 16 09:32:09 EST 2007

In my Contemporary Genetics lab course I assign an Arabidopsis gene to
each student and direct them to use Genevestigator to analyze its
expression (where, when, compared to similar, etc).  The students make a
web report on their work where they cut/paste the graphs and draw
conclusions on the possible function of their assigned gene. I like to
give them myosin genes to analyze because most show tissue specific
expression and they can compare them as a family of genes. Works quite
well and the students like the assignment.

Les

F. Les Erickson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Salisbury University
1101 Camden Avenue
Salisbury, MD 21801 USA
(410) 677-5366 fax (410) 543-6433
http://www.salisbury.edu/biology/faculty/Erickson.html

>>> Carl Pike <carl.pike At fandm.edu> 01/14/07 2:16 PM >>>

Has anyone used Genevestigator (tool for analyzing Arabidopsis gene
expression data based on gene chips) in a teaching situation?  If so,
could you share what you did?  Thanks  Carl Pike