[Plant-education] Definition of Spore in PLants

Karl Roberts via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by drkjroberts from gmail.com)
Fri Jun 15 19:34:26 EST 2007

Hi,
Algae are plant-like protists and yes, many do undergo alternation of
generation with both sporophyte and gametophyte thalli.  In these cases,
spores are produced by meiosis in the sporophyte generation and do give rise
to gametophytes that produce either isogametes (both the same size),
anisogametes (different sizes) or ova and sperm-like gametes.  Fungal spores
are also produced via meiosis and are haploid, though many fungi also can
propagate in ways closer to sexual reproduction such as + and - hyphae in *
Rhizopus* and other species merging to produce diploid zygospores.
  I hope this helps.

On 6/15/07, Donna Ford-Werntz <dford2 from wvu.edu> wrote:

> Margene, I don't consider fungi plants, so this is not a problem.  Where
> it might get messy is algae--any phycologists here?

> What about asexual spores produced by fungi? Or, are fungi considered
> "plants"?
>
> Margene M. Ranieri
> Professor
> Biology Department
> Box 34585
> Bob Jones University
> 1700 Wade Hampton Blvd.
> Greenville, SC 29614
> 864-242-5100 ext. 2220
> mranieri from bju.edu
>

> On 6/15/07 1:18 PM, "Donna Ford-Werntz" <dford2 from wvu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi all, Here's a start for you to throw darts at: the unicellular
> haploid
> > product of meiosis (in a sporophyte).  Fire away!

Karl J. Roberts, Ph.D.