[Plant-education] Definition of Spore in PLants

jmglime from mtu.edu via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by jmglime from mtu.edu)
Sun Jun 17 14:54:01 EST 2007

I'm not a phycologist, but Oedogonium and other algae produce mitospores.
Furthermore, the zygospore of many algae would be considered as a spore if
using a broad definition.  The definition is simple if we exclude the
algae from the plant kingdom because then the plant spores are all
products of meiosis.  If including the green algae, the definition gets
very messy.  I have never bought into the idea of putting the algae back
into the plant kingdom, but we need to recognize that many botanists do
find that concept viable.)
Janice Glime
Department of Biological Sciences
Michigan Technological University