[Plant-education] Re: Leading plants for Biofuel

Groenmannetjie via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by groenmannetjie from gmail.com)
Sat Jun 30 00:58:04 EST 2007

On Jun 28, 4:47 pm, "Pale, Fatimata" <F... from thiel.edu> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Please send me a list of the best potential plants to be considered for biofuel, not only for North America, but also for the rest of the world.
>
> Thank you
>
> Dr. Fatimata Pale'
> Professsor of Biology
> Thiel College
> 75 College Avenue
> Greenville PA, 15125

Greetings from the chilly south
Based in Southern Africa, we are investigating bio-energy alternatives
to the mono-cultural exploitation of water scarce areas
Utilizing Permaculutre design methodology's combined with technologies
such as GIS & high defenition satellite imagery
Underdevelopment is a regional land use strategy  for under utilized,
marginal & degraded lands in communal tribal trust lands
Few species both indigenous to Southern Africa & those naturalized
through the migration of various cultural groups to Southern Africa
have proven to be promising
Indigenous:
Trichilia emetica has proven to be the most promising bio-diesel plant
but is susceptible to frost
Pappea capense has proven to be far to slow growing
Ximenia caffra is problematic being a semi-parasitic
Naturalized:
Elaeis guineensis still remains the plant with the best potential, yet
it is restricted to coastal & low-land areas
Moiringa oleifera has proven to be the most adaptable to date & can
survive light frosts
Jatropha curcas is promising but is very susceptible to frost damage &
has proven problematic to receive forestry permits for this species
There seems to be ingrained Zenaphobia & general mist trust of foreign
plants never mind people in the region