[Plant-education] ideas for a new plant course

Jon Monroe via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by monroejd from jmu.edu)
Wed Oct 10 21:51:27 EST 2007

Hi Plant-eders,

I will be bringing a 'Biology of Plants' course back to our curriculum
in the spring, a number of years after it went away from our first year
duo.  This one will be a 300-level course without a lab.  I will try to
make it broad with coverage of evolution, diversity, form and function.
  We have other plant courses that specialize so this one will hopefully
appeal more to the vast numbers of pre-health bio majors.  Ha!

I could go with a traditional text, but I think it would be painful for
many to slog through so I'm considering a series of readings - primary
research papers, Natural History articles, sections of good books like
Jared Diamond's 'Guns Germs and Steel' etc.  Has anyone done something
like this?  Any ideas out there for readings/activities?

Thanks!

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe, Professor
  Department of Biology, MSC 7801