[Plant-education] Source for living Psilotum in USA

Perry, James via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by james.perry from uwc.edu)
Fri Dec 5 22:42:57 EST 2008

This is common in most academic greenhouses. I suggest you ask at the University of Washington if they would provide a specimen. These are extremely tough plants, so dividing should be no problem.

If you can't get one and want to wait until January I will be in Seattle at the AAC&U meeting and will bring one for you. Let me know. (This plant was the source of material for my MS degree a long long time ago, before we knew it was a reduced fern.)

James W. Perry, Ph.D.
Campus Executive Officer and Dean
University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road
Menasha, WI 54952
(920) 832-2610 (voice)
(920) 832-2674 (fax)
james.perry from uwc.edu
                                www.uwfox.uwc.edu
                                http://uwfox.blogspot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: plant-ed-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:plant-ed-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of LuDean Marvin
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 4:49 PM
To: Plant-ed from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Plant-education] Source for living Psilotum in USA

I would like to find a source for purchasing a division of
Psilotum nudum within the USA. I find that while teaching about
the Pteridophytes, having a real living specimen to pass around
beats a fancy color photo hands down.  Any ideas?  Do any of you
have specimens that I can get a division from? Thanks!

LuDean Marvin
Adjunct Professor
Olympic College
Bremerton, WA.