[Plant-education] Campus tree inventory

Scott Shumway via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by sshumway from wheatonma.edu)
Sat Jun 7 20:06:44 EST 2008

Bob,

Several years ago I set out to put display labels on all of the campus
trees at Wheaton College, a small liberal arts college in MA.  I quickly
learned that there were way too many trees on campus for me to handle.
I settled for 80-100.  Your estimate sounds appropriate for our small
campus!  (multiply by 10?)

First I tried to learn more about trees that already had various bronze
plaques and labels associated with them. The college archivist had some
records of trees that had been planted in honor of various graduating
classes and alums.  Plant operations had some records as well, including
a survey done by a tree care company (arborist) in the 1970s.  A few
trees still have the numbered metal tags from this survey.  An emeritus
professor of philosophy who retired soon after I was born had a hand in
planting approximately 300 trees on campus.  After coming to terms with
the fact that he knew more about trees than I did, I learned a fair
amount about our campus trees from him.  He conducted tours of the
campus trees for alumni until he reached his early 90's when I took over
as the campus "tree guy".

I have since put labels on about 80 trees.  This project was funded by
our president who had always worked at schools with a campus arboretum.
Ours does not have such a designation, but has a remarkable collection
of trees.  Students are attracted to these labels, particularly late on
Saturday nights when their blood alchohol levels are slightly elevated
and they feel the need to vandalize them.  :-(

Name Plate and Panel Technology makes very attractive annodized aluminum
labels.  After 5+ years the undisturbed labels show no signs of aging.
They are mounted with screws and springs with the idea that you can
unscrew a few turns as the tree grows around the screws.  I wonder if
the folks who came up with this idea have ever actually tried to turn a
screw that has been partially swallowed by a mighty oak.  Our
groundskeepers have tried...and failed.  (Any suggestions???)  If I were
to buy labels again, I would look into double thickness in order to make
it more difficult for vandals to bend them in half.  http://www.nptec.com/

When I was beginning to label the campus trees, I paid a visit to folks
at the Arnold Arboretum (Harvard).  They were completing a project
similar to the one that you describe.  They had mapped their collection
using GPS.  They were using commercial database software developed
specifically for managing arboretum collections.

I also looked at many different web sites.  I believe Connecticut
College and U Conn both have interactive maps that allow you to click on
a location and view photos and information about particular trees.  They
were somewhat primitive at the time and may have been improved by now.

One year I worked with a photography student who developed a virtual
tour of the campus trees.  We did not attempt an interactive map.
http://www.wheatoncollege.edu/WheatonTrees/WTWhome.htm

I look forward to learning more about your project and how other folks
have used campus trees as an educational resource.

Scott

--
Scott Shumway
Professor of Biology