[Plant-education] Agrobacterium?

Perry, James via plant-ed%40net.bio.net (by james.perry from uwc.edu)
Mon Nov 17 22:23:28 EST 2008

Margaret,

You may be able to get the culture from American Type Culture
Collection. Alternatively, try to contact someone in Plant Pathology at
a regional Land Grant R1 university and see if they are willing to
provide the culture.

Things have changed since my days of maintaining a culture collection
and it may be that federal requirements for exchanging pathogens has
made things more difficult.

Another resort is to try to contact Paul Williams, Department of Plant
Pathology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. (The other UW for the
left-coasters.) Paul developed WFP, so he might help. He's retired but
not really I don't think.

Jim Perry
University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley

-----Original Message-----
From: plant-ed-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:plant-ed-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Olney,
Margaret A.
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 3:56 PM
To: plant-ed from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Plant-education] Agrobacterium?

One of my undergraduate students would like to conduct a study looking
at the transformation efficiencies of Wisconsin Fast Plants using
Agrobacteria.  We have not successfully found any commercial sources for
Agrobacteria tumefaciens.  Do any of you know of a commercial or
non-commercial source?  We only need a stab that we could grow and from
which we could prepare our own competent cells.  Thanks!

Best regards,

Margaret Olney

Assistant Professor of Biology

Saint Martin's University